Sunday, November 9, 2008

Just another beautiful Sunday...

Today was one of the most beautiful Sundays I've experienced in a LONG time. Don't get me wrong, I love Sundays...this one was just markedly special.

First of all, I got to sit in the pew just ahead of my family, and it was the first time in a LONG time I've seen my dad sit with the family.


Emily came up and sat with me for a little bit and played with my keychains for a while. One of the keychains has a picture of the Salt Lake Temple. Emily kept saying, "Temple, Aikey, Temple! Going there some DAY!" I said, "To feel the holy Spirit, to listen and to..." She looked up at me with her big bright eyes and said, "PRAY!" It's so beautiful to see the light shining in the eyes of little children!

Which leads me to the other awesome experience I had today. We talked about being reverent in Sunbeams today, and my kids were priceless. There was a new boy in the class, and he's much much younger than the other children. He didn't really know how to be reverent, and was really struggling. Talking when the other kids were talking, and getting up out of his chair and playing. I taught the kids in the class that if someone who is new at church doesn't know how to be reverent, the best thing we can do is show them our best example of being reverent. They were ANGELS today! I can't describe to you how amazingly reverent they were today. We went on a reverence walk through the church, and I sat them in the back pew of the chapel. I told them a story about being reverent, and they seemed to understand it perfectly. I taught them that they were showing Heavenly Father that they love him when they are reverent. They seemed to get that pretty well.

So then we talked a little bit about how they know Heavenly Father loves them. Here are what some of the kids said,

Me: Luke, how do you know Heavenly Father loves you?
Luke: "He helps me be good!"

Me: Olivia, how do you know that Heavenly Father Loves you?
Olivia: My family told me. I believe them.

Me: Connor, how do you know Heavenly Father loves you?
Connor: Because it's true.
Me: How do you know?
Connor: I just do.

How simple is that faith! They're so beautiful. Thank you for letting me teach your children on Sundays. :) They really brighten up my week!

Christopher and I went for a walk this evening. The weather is BEAUTIFUL! It's my favorite time of year. :) We had fun talking about the last 9 months or so, and the incredible journey we've been on since he was baptized. I'll have to share it with you sometime. :)

6 comments:

Mama D said...

What sweet moments you had today!! Awesome. Children are amazing!

And I'm glad someone is enjoying the weather. I'm getting cold and feeling ornery because I know it will get colder before it gets warmer... :(

Reine said...

Kids are so cute! :)
This is Jessica DeGraw btw.. you should check out my blog.

Shayleen Lunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caiti said...

Are you sure Emily is not your daughter? I think she looks just like you. With blond hair.

chelle said...

I wasn't able to make it to church yesterday. It will be weird to see your dad sitting down with the fam!
YOU are just what those lil 3-4 yr olds need. You are an amazing woman with such a sweet disposition. I have seen the growth in the kids this yr. Keep on doing what your doing! :D

Shayleen Lunt said...

Adrienne - You put a lump in my throat.
Thank you so much for sharing that. As a mother and as a primary leader, I thank you.
What a sweet moment with Emmy...she is such a doll. She has wonderful examples all around her.
Thank you for helping my daughter to gain a testimony of the love her Heavenly Father has for her.