Monday, December 10, 2007

Goals.

Last night I was talking to a friend about goals. We were talking about life, and where we were going with it. This is what I said:

"If you aren't actively engaged in acheiving your goal, you will get wherever you are already going."

He told me I wasn't making any sense.

So I explained.

If I want to be an acrobat... (Just let it happen) If I want to be an acrobat in 5 years, I need to start training right now. I need to eat right, I need to exercise regularly, I need to be strength training and working on flexibility daily. If I don't do those things every single day, whose fault will it be if I'm not an acrobat in 5 years?
What I will become, on the other hand, is all of the things I am already on the path to become. I will become a good manager at build a bear. I will become really good at communicating on the telephone. I will become a whole laundry list of things...that I am already on the path to becoming...if I don't change anything. The real question is this...which of those things do I really want to become? Which habits do I want to keep? Which habits do I want to add?

Who do I want to become?

So it's almost 2008. Goal-setting time.


In other news, I'm buying a plane ticket today. I can't wait to go home. SERIOUSLY.

2 comments:

Mama D said...

"Which of those things do I really want to become? Which habits do I want to keep? Which habits do I want to add?"

Very insightful!

It'll be fun keeping track of what you're up to this way! Yeah for blogging. :]

Mama D said...

When will you be home? Papa, Sarah, and Ryan are somewhere in TN on their drive back from getting Ryan from college! We're excited to have Ryan home for a while. Yeah for college students coming home!!